Are you a prepper looking for reliable power sources to ensure your preparedness in times of crisis? Look no further! In this article, we will explore the seven best gas-powered generators that are ideal for preppers.
These generators offer essential features such as portability, efficiency, and durability to meet your power needs during emergency situations or off-grid living. With advancements in technology, these generators provide clean energy solutions while remaining compact and lightweight.
Let’s dive in.
1. Pulsar 1,200W Carrying Handle, PG1202SA Gas-Powered Portable Generator
The Pulsar PG1202SA is a compact and portable gas-powered generator that provides 1,200 peak watts and 900 running watts of power. This makes it perfect for camping trips or other outdoor activities where you need to power small appliances, electronics, or tools.
One of the standout features of this generator is its durable and compact design with a convenient carrying handle. It’s easy to transport from one location to another without straining yourself. Additionally, the recoil start system ensures reliable starting every time.
With its fuel tank capacity of 1.1 gallons, the PG1202SA can provide up to five hours of continuous operation at half load before needing refueling – ideal for extended outdoor use.
This generator also offers multiple outlets, including (2) 120V AC outlets and (1)12V DC output, so you can easily connect various devices simultaneously.
You’ll have ample space for powering your essential equipment, whether it’s charging phones during emergencies or using power tools on DIY projects in remote locations.
- Compact size with carrying handle allows portability.
- Provides sufficient wattage for smaller electrical appliances/tools.
- Efficient runtime thanks to an impressive fuel economy.
- Offers both AC & DC outputs, allowing versatility.
- Limited power output may not be sufficient for larger devices or appliances.
- Not suitable for running AC units.
- Some users have reported minor mechanical issues, such as the heat shield falling off.
2. Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 4650 Peak Watt Portable Generator
The Westinghouse Outdoor Power Equipment 4650 Peak Watt Portable Generator is a reliable and powerful option for preppers. With its 3600 running watts and 4650 peak watts, it can easily handle essential appliances during power outages or camping trips.
A key feature of this generator is its long run time per tank, offering up to 14 hours of continuous operation on a full tank. This makes it ideal for extended periods without electricity. Additionally, the fuel gauge allows you to monitor how much fuel you have left easily.
This portable generator also offers versatility with multiple outlets, including one household duplex receptacle (5-20R), one RV-ready TT-30R receptacle (30 amp), and one L5-30R receptacle (30 amp). These various outlet options make it suitable for powering different types of devices simultaneously.
Another advantage is the easy setup, as this product comes complete with oil, an oil funnel, a tool kit, and a user manual. Minimal assembly required means that you can start using your generator right away after unboxing.
As for noise level, it has been reported by customers that they are pleased with how quiet this unit runs compared to other generators in a similar wattage range. This will be appreciated when trying not to draw unnecessary attention to the post-SHTF situation.
- Powerful and reliable performance with 3600 running watts and 4650 peak watts.
- Long run time of up to 14 hours per tank for extended use without refuelling.
- Versatile outlets, including a household duplex receptacle, RV-ready receptacle, and L5-30R receptacle.
- Easy setup with oil included in the package, along with an oil funnel, tank capacity gauge, tool kit, and user manual.
- Quieter operation compared to other generators in its wattage range.
- Potentially heavy as it weighs around ~100 pounds, which might make portability challenging, especially if you need one transported between different locations frequently.
3. PowerSmart 1200W Portable Gas Generator, Small Generator for Camping Outdoor
The PowerSmart 1200W Portable Gas Generator is a reliable and compact generator that is perfect for camping and outdoor activities. With its lightweight design, it’s easy to transport and set up wherever you need power.
Despite its small size, this generator packs a punch with 1200 starting watts/1000 running watts of clean energy. It features both a household outlet (120V) as well as a DC output (12V), allowing you to charge your sensitive devices like phones and laptops without worrying about damaging them.
One of the standout features of this generator is its fuel efficiency. The 1.1-gallon tank can operate continuously for up to five hours on just half load, making it ideal for overnight trips or short-term emergency situations.
Assembly is quick and hassle-free, requiring only minimal effort before use. Plus, there’s no need to change the oil – simply mix in some gasoline with two-stroke oil at a ratio of 50:1.
- Compact and portable design.
- Provides clean power suitable for sensitive electronics.
- Excellent fuel efficiency.
- Easy assembly process.
- Lightweight construction makes it easy to handle.
- Affordable price point.
- Slightly loud noise level due to being a two-stroke engine.
4. WEN DF475T Dual Fuel 120V/240V Portable Generator
The WEN DF475T Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a versatile and reliable option for preppers. Its ability to switch between gasoline and propane makes it suitable for various situations, including power outages or emergency backup.
One of the notable features of this generator is its voltage flexibility, allowing you to easily switch from 120V to 240V as needed. This feature makes it compatible with transfer switches, which can be useful during emergencies when you need to power specific appliances or equipment selectively.
With an electric start function powered by a 224cc OHV engine, starting up the generator is effortless with just the turn of a key.
The generous four-gallon tank provides up to 11 hours of run time at half load on gasoline fuel. Additionally, it includes two GFCI outlets (5-20R), one NEMA twist lock outlet (L14-30R), and even has a convenient DC cigarette-lighter-style plug.
- Dual-fuel capability allows users more options in choosing their preferred fuel source.
- Easy startup thanks to electric start functionality.
- Voltage flexibility enables compatibility with different electrical systems.
- Long run-time ensures extended usage without frequent refueling.
- Multiple outlet options provide versatility for connecting various devices.
- Comes with a wheel and handle kit for easy transportation.
- Some users reported receiving the product missing certain components (such as the ground cable), requiring them to find alternatives or request replacements from customer service.
- The generator may produce slightly less power when running on propane compared to gasoline.
5. WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
The WEN 56235i Super Quiet Portable Inverter Generator is an excellent choice for preppers looking for a reliable and efficient power source. Its ultralight body makes it easy to transport and store, making it ideal for camping or emergency situations.
It produces noise levels comparable to a normal conversation, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, perfect for maintaining peace in your campsite or during an outage without disturbing neighbors.
With 2350 surge watts and 1900 rated watts, this generator provides clean power that can safely charge sensitive electronics like phones, tablets, televisions, or computers. The fuel shutoff feature prolongs the lifespan by using up the remaining fuel before shutting down.
It comes with multiple outlets, including two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle (great if you have devices charged through cigarette plugs), as well as two USB ports. This allows you to charge different types of equipment simultaneously.
- Lightweight design.
- Extremely quiet operation.
- Clean power output suitable for sensitive electronics.
- Multiple outlet options.
- Fuel shutoff feature increases longevity.
- Limited running time compared to larger generators.
6. Aceup Energy 1,000W Gas-Powered Generator
The Aceup Energy 1,000W Gas-Powered Generator is a versatile and reliable power solution. With its 1000 peak watts and 800 running watts, it can handle various electrical devices and appliances, such as small construction tools or household electronics.
This generator operates at a frequency of 60Hz with standard household outlets, making it compatible with most common devices. It is powered by a sturdy 71cc Aceup Single Cylinder, the two-cycle engine that provides efficient performance while maintaining fuel economy.
Weighing in at just over 35 pounds, the compact design makes this portable generator easy to transport and store when not in use. You will find starting the unit simple thanks to the recoil start system requiring only three pulls on average to get up even after being unused for extended periods.
Additionally, it runs smoothly and quietly while still packing enough power to keep your essential equipment running during outages or remote work situations
One important advantage of this gas-powered generator is that you do not need to worry about changing oil regularly Maintenance required for this unit involves adding gasoline mixed with the recommended 50:1oil ratio in order to maintain lubrication.
- The generator is compact and portable, making it easy to transport.
- With its low weight of only 35.3 lbs., it can be easily carried by one person.
- The generator runs quietly, ensuring minimal noise disturbance.
- Its recoil start system makes starting the generator quick and hassle-free.
- The engine’s air cooling system helps prevent overheating during extended use.
- Some users may consider the fuel tank capacity (1.1 gallons) to be smaller compared to other models on the market.
7. Pulsar 2,300W Portable Gas-Powered Quiet Inverter Generator
The Pulsar 2,300W Portable Gas-Powered Quiet Inverter Generator is a versatile and reliable power solution for preppers.
With its compact and lightweight design, it can easily be transported and used in various situations, such as tailgating, camping, or powering small appliances during emergency scenarios.
It’s stable sine wave technology, which ensures safe electrical power output. This makes it ideal for charging sensitive electronic devices like laptops and cell phones without risk of damage.
Additionally, the generator provides ample power with 2,300 peak watts/1,800 running watts to keep your essential appliances up and running.
- Compact and lightweight design for easy handling and transportation.
- Stable sine wave technology provides safe electrical power for sensitive devices.
- Ample power output with 2,300 peaks watts/1,800 running watts.
- Fuel-efficient, offering up to 4.8 hours of operation on just over a gallon of fuel at half load.
- Easy start-up process without any hiccups or extra effort required.
- Quiet inverter technology reduces noise levels while maintaining efficient performance.
- Limited Power Capacity.
Having a reliable gas-powered generator is crucial for preppers. The top seven generators discussed in this article offer the perfect balance of portability, efficiency, durability, and power capacity to meet your needs during emergency situations or off-grid living.
With their compact designs and advanced technology features, such as stable sine wave output and fuel-efficient operation, these generators ensure that you can keep your essential appliances running smoothly while also charging sensitive electronic devices.
Whether you’re camping in remote locations or facing extended periods without access to electricity at home due to unforeseen circumstances, investing in a gas-powered generator is a smart choice for any prepper.