So, you might have wondered, can a bullet go through brick? Brick, as you know is a hard material and bullets are known to go through most materials. You may live in a brick home or you may just be curious.
So, can a bullet go through brick?
Most bullets will not be able to penetrate a brick completely. If several rounds were fired at the same brick, there’s a chance the brick will break or a bullet will fully penetrate through. Most calibers under 50 will not be able to penetrate a brick completely.
So, in this article, we’ll answer that more in-depth, what materials can stop a bullet, how to avoid getting shot, whether you’re safe in a brick home, and more.
Let’s dig in.
A standard .22 will not penetrate a brick. It would require several round to break or penetrate the brick fully.
The standard brick is 3.54 inches thick and it’s made of solid clay and shale. It’s pressed into a machine at 1000 Fahrenheit so it’s quite hard.
Most calibers and guns will be stopped with a brick, but I know a 50 caliber should be able to penetrate fully. Depending on the type of gun you have, you may be able to penetrate the brick with a smaller caliber.
If you have a high-velocity cartridge like the .220 Swift, you might be able to break through the brick.
However, most calibers and muzzle velocities will not break through a brick in a single shot. However, with several shots, there is a high probability that the brick will eventually break or get penetrated.
What Materials Can Stop a Bullet?
Again, this depends on the amount of material you have and the caliber of the bullet. If you have enough cotton, that will stop a bullet for example.
There are a few materials that have a very high probability of stopping a bullet. Those are:
- Kevlar – This high-strength material is used in bulletproof vests and other body armor. It is able to stop bullets by absorbing and dissipating their energy.
- Steel – Steel is often used in bulletproofing because it is strong and durable. It can stop bullets by deflecting or absorbing their energy.
- Ceramic – Ceramic is a hard material that can break and shatter upon impact. It is often used in bulletproofing because it can stop bullets by shattering them.
- Polyethylene – Polyethylene is a strong, lightweight material that is used in bulletproof vests. It can stop bullets by absorbing and dissipating their energy.
- Bulletproof glass – Bulletproof glass is a type of glass that is designed to stop bullets. It is made of multiple layers of glass and plastic that absorb and dissipate the energy of a bullet.
- Concrete – Concrete is a strong, durable material that can stop bullets by absorbing their energy.
How to Avoid Getting Shot?
You can take a few precautions to avoid getting shot, other than being a criminal (if you’re doing the criminal activity, you will probably be shot at). These include:
- Avoid being in areas where there is known gang activity.
- If you are in an area where there is gang activity, try to avoid being seen as a threat.
- Don‘t brandish weapons or act in a way that could be perceived as a threat.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and who is around you.
- If you are approached by someone who appears to be a gang member, try to defuse the situation and avoid any confrontation.
- Don’t be a hero. If you have an opportunity, for example, by giving your wallet, do that.
Are You Safe From Bullets Inside a Brick Home?
Most brick homes will provide some protection from bullets, but it is not guaranteed. The thickness of the brick, the type of mortar used, and the type of bullet being fired all play a role in how much protection a brick home will provide.
If the bullet is large enough, for example, a 50 Caliber, it will penetrate the brick home.
Bricks are hard and thick materials that are incredibly hard to break with force, so the person with the firearm would need a large caliber rifle to penetrate through the brick.
Why Bulletproof Your Home
Your home should be your sanctuary, a safe place for you and your family to relax, feel comfortable and recharge. So, it’s important to take measures to protect your home from harm.
Depending on your area, it may be a good idea to bulletproof your home to stay safe. Additionally, this will increase the resale value of your home, perhaps above the cost of installing bulletproof measures.
Speaking of guns, did you know you can sell your empty shotgun shells? Click on our article there to learn more.
How to Bulletproof Your Home?
There are various options to bulletproof your home. You could use fiberglass, ballistic steel, or even sand. Sand bags are used by the US military to stop any commercial caliber.
Note that this would probably require to help of professionals to install them on your walls.
You can also purchase bulletproof doors and windows for extra security. This will likely cost a big sum of money.
So, can a bullet go through brick? No, most calibers will not break through brick since brick is a hard and thick material. You would need large calibers to break through brick.
If you live in a brick home, you will be mostly safe, but you can take additional measures by bulletproofing your home. Stay safe and keep prepping!