In This Article
The LifeStraw Go water filter bottle has reinvented survival for hikers, campers, boaters, preppers, and many more.
Drinking fresh water anywhere, where there is water is already here. Carrying around a way to drink water safely is exactly what LifeStraw was made to do. You can safely drink from practically any source of water with the LifeStraw water bottle.
I keep this in my camping and hiking backpack because this is a necessity for me, and it saves me energy, and money by cutting back on bringing heavy plastic water bottles.
In this article, I will be covering a complete review on the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle to see if it is a perfect fit for you.
I will cover what is LifeStraw, why you need water filtration, comparisons, and why this is a better option, features, and specifications of LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle, the pros and cons of the LifeStraw Go, a basic LifeStraw Go manual, and a summary.
What is LifeStraw and How Does LifeStraw Work?
LifeStraw is a company that has created a high-tech water filtration systems designed to fit inside your bag. You can drink from almost any water source, without any precautions.
The body of the straw holds a large filter to make sure that the water your drinking, no matter how filthy from the beginning of the straw, will be clean by the time it reaches the end.
The company itself(Vestergaard– owns LifeStraw) has done great things, giving back and helping 3,367,145 students drink safely, along with helping 1,870 schools and donating 12,220 water filters. The company’s reputation is very high and the company is respected by hikers, preppers, and many others.
Vestergaard also works with the US President Jimmy Carter Foundation to eradicate Guinea Worm and has contributed to successfully decreasing the number of infections from over 3.5 million cases to 54 cases in 2019.
LifeStraw has donated 38 million Guinea worm filters to the Carter Center since 1994.
Why you need water filtration
Water is necessary for living and it is taken for granted. Water ranges from regulating body temperature to flushing out toxins, protecting the body tissues, as well as the joints and spinal cord, and carries out many of the body’s chemical reactions. This is why you need safe water wherever you are.
Water contamination can be fatal, so the best thing you can do is to have a water filter on hand.
There are many different types of water filtration, but portable water filters are superior to all the other options because tablets don’t filter out the rocks, dirt, and silt that may be in the water.
You will need a water filtration system unless you are carrying a water quality testing kit; which even then if the water isn’t safe, you won’t be able to drink it.
LifeStraw Go Water Bottle Vs. LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
First, we will compare these two filters from the same company, then we will compare to different company products.
There is one distinct feature that makes the LifeStraw Go Water Bottle superior. You don’t want to lie on your belly every single time you take a sip of water. This is something I immediately realized when I first bought the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter.
With the LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, you also have to do more steps, while with the LifeStraw Go Water Bottle there are fewer steps. For the LifeStraw, you have to do a staggering 9 steps, and with the LifeStraw Go, you only have to do 4.
- Step 1: Open the Top Cap
- Step 2: Open The Bottom Cap
- Step 3: Get on Your Belly
- Step 4: Stick the Straw into Hopefully Steady Water
- Step 5: Drink
- Step 6: Take it Out
- Step 7: Empty the Filter
- Step 8: Close the Top Cap
- Step 9: Close the Bottom Cap
- Step 1: Fill The Bottle If Necessary
- Step 2: Wait 10 Seconds
- Step 3: Drink
- Step 4: Empty the Filter
Bringing your own water while camping or hiking is still a very important thing because you still have to find the water source, and that may vary in difficulty, so with the LifeStraw Go, you can still drink water after you walk away from your water source and you’re still thirsty.
Going through nine steps every time you want a sip of water(that is much harder to drink) does not suit me personally and I don’t know about you.
Now, let’s compare this product to other companies’ products.
LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle Vs. GRAYL Ultralight Filtered Water Bottle
First off, the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle is lighter, weighing 5.9 ounces, while the GRAYL Ultralight Filtered Water Bottle is 10.4 ounces.
The LifeStraw Go also has an up-to 1-liter capacity, while on the other hand, GRAYL Ultralight has a 16-ounce capacity.
GRAYL Ultralight costs around the high sixties on Amazon, while LifeStraw Go costs less than half than that. So, if pricing is important to you, the GRAYL Ultralight is not my recommendation.
All other features are basically the same, and I would personally go for the LifeStraw Go Water Filter Bottle.
- For every LifeStraw Go purchased, a child in need receives safe drinking water
- Surpasses US EPA, NSF, and ASTM standards for water filters
- Replaceable filters
- Top Rate Amazon's Choice
- Removes minimum 99.999% of waterborne parasite(Ascaris lumbricoides, Cryptosporidium spp., Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia intestinalis, etc.)
- Removes minimum 99.999999% of waterborne bacteria (Brucella melitensis, Campylobacter jejuni, Francisella, etc.) with Hollow fiber Membranes
- Removes minimum 99.999% of microplastics with Hollow fiber Membranes
- The LifeStraw lifeSpan is for a lifetime with a limit of up to 4000 liters(1000 gallons) of contaminated water filtered
- Eliminates chlorine, bad odor, harmful chemicals(pesticides, herbicides), turbidity(silt, sand, and cloudiness)
- No batteries or extra powers needed
- Enhances the taste of water with an Activated carbon capsule
- Made out of durable BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece
- If you like Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, fitness, kayaking, boating, traveling, or emergency preparedness, this is ideal for you
Pros and Cons
- Everytime you purchase a LifeStraw Go, a child in need receives safe drinking water.
- It is light(5.9 ounces), convenient, and easily transportable.
- Rated 4.4 out of 5 with about 3500 ratings(as of now).
- It is Easy to use(no batteries or extra powers needed and few steps.)
- The water bottle is large, up-to 1 liter(1/4 gallon)
- It has an endless life with it's high performance 0.2 micron inline filters(4000 liter*1000 gallons* and even then the filter is replaceable.)
- The filters cleans water to its purest state.
- This is a completely leak-proof water bottle.
- Cheaper Short & Long Term
- This is made with durable BPA-free Tritan and features a food-grade silicone mouthpiece and a high quality hollow fiber membrane, activated carbon capsule.
- Free Shipping and Returning
- If you already have a LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, you can't just plug that in, the straw used in LifeStraw Go is a different model.
- A little difficult to drink(it's like drinking a decently thick smoothie).
- You have to wait for the filter for 10 seconds to prime the filters for maximum performance and safety.
- You have to only use water and never any other liquids.
LifeStraw Go Manual
This LifeStraw Go manual will include potential problems(from bad Amazon reviews) that can arise, and easy solutions, and a step-by-step guide with instructions to the LifeStraw Go.
Potential Problems and Easy Solutions:
Too hard to drink out of:
When I first got my LifeStraw Go, I noticed that it was hard to drink out of, so I inspected the bottle, and I noticed that there was tight cellophane(A thin, flexible, transparent cellulose material made from wood pulp and used as a moisture-proof wrapping) wrapping all around the cap.
So, I took that out(it should take a while, it’s tight), and it was significantly easier to drink out of.
If you are still having difficulty drinking, here are some instructions to make it easier:
1. Remove the carbon filter from the top of the straw
2. Pry open the plastic casing
3. If you can see the seam(A similar line, ridge, or groove made by fitting, joining, or lapping together two sections along their edges) on the top of the plastic casing, gentle remove the carbon bag
4. Reposition the bag with seams along the cylindrical wall of the plastic casing
5. Gently push and wiggle the bag back into the casing, and replace the cap
6. Put the carbon filter back into the straw and check to see if easier to draw water through the straw
Filters Clogged Up:
I personally have never noticed any clogging, but in a few Amazon reviews, people have complained about the filters clogging, and clearly, these people did not read the manual or video. You have to blow out the water forever single-use, or else clogging may occur after just a few drinks.
The mouthpiece is not protected from contamination:
This is true and applies to mainly third world countries where there are airborne bacteria and viruses. If you drop the bottle, then it is also contaminated and should be cleaned with clean water. I recommend you clean the bottle every day you use it, just like any normal water bottle.
Manufacture misconduct can occur(rarely), and if you email [email protected] with the issue(missing parts, broken anything upon arrival, leaking, etc.), they will help you out because they are committed to quality products and customer service.
How to Use LifeStraw Go
Using the lifestraw is already much simpler than other alternatives, but I decided to make this simple instructive guide to help you out.
At the top of the bottle is the mouthpiece(outside), then the lid(outside), then the Activated carbon filter(inside the filter), then, carbon filter chamber, then the carabiner clips(An oblong metal ring with a hinged and spring-loaded gate) included(outside), and then the microfiltration membrane filters(inside the filter).
In order to replace the filter(you should replace it every 4000 liters*1000 gallons*), you first have to unscrew the top of the cap, and insert the new filter into the top cap, and then screw it back on tightly. Make sure that the carbon capsule is all the way on the top.
In order to replace(it’s really only rinsing) the carbon capsule(you should replace every 100 liters*26.4 gallons*, you have to extract the filter with a coin or fingers and simply rinse the filter(with clean tap water) and then insert it back in until you hear a click.
Daily Use Instructions:
Suppose you have had prior use of the bottle, then sterilize the bottle by cleaning the cap inside of the bottle. If you want to be extra safe, my recommendation is to also rinse your carbon filters.
To use the straw, you have to:
1. Fill the bottle
2. Wait 10 seconds
3. Drink the water with the unscrewed cap
4. Blow the water out(to prevent clogging)
In order to take more serious measures for extra safety, DO NOT:
- Use LifeStraw Go with two or more individuals(1 individual for 1 LifeStraw Go)
- Use LifeStraw Go with dirty and bacteria-contaminated hands(like with any other object touching your face)
- Use LifeStraw Go if you have a bacteria-contaminated mouth
- Use LifeStraw Go in a coliform(kind of bacteria that invades the intestines) dense environment.
- Use LifeStraw Go if you fail to maintain a sterile mouthpiece.
- Use LifeStraw Go in extreme heat or freezing temperatures(may lead to damaged product)
- Use LifeStraw with seawater or water near mining or large agricultural operations
Summary of the LifeStraw Go
LifeStraw Go is a useful, decently priced product that was designed by a humanitarian company.
LifeStraw Go is easy to use. All you have to do is fill up the bottle, wait 10 seconds, drink, and blow out the remaining water. The design quality is also unbeatable, made with durable materials.
I and many others(hikers, campers, fishers, kayakers, boaters, travelers, and preppers) have had a pleasant experience with LifeStraw Go, and I support the company and its actions.
Considering the weight of each pro and con, my personal experience with LifeStraw, and the average Amazon rating(4.4/5), my rating is 4.6/5
If you feel this product is right for you, click here to buy on Amazon. If you aren’t happy with all this, there is free shipping and returning, so you don’t have to worry about not liking the product.
Thanks, and I hope you have a wonderful day!